Our Lady of Lourdes Metropolitan Cathedral in ThrissurThe city of Thrissur, was once home to the largest Syro-Malabar Catholic Archdiocese in India until very recently. There are thousands of Catholics in Thrissur as well as several churches that cater to these Roman Catholics. One such famous church in Thrissur that is famous for its brilliant architecture, is the ‘Our Lady of Lourdes Metropolitan Church’ that is located in the heart of the city.
Rich in its history, this church was built in the gothic style in 1957. Mar Andrews Thazhath is the Archbishop of the church and Jose Punnoliparambil is the vicar.
The outside of the church is light pink in colour and was built as per European church designs with tall spires that stand proudly atop the church along with the central one that holds up a cross. The church was built by Fr John Maliekkal, who put in an extra effort in making a special underground shrine that contains some of the best architectural marvels.
Here is the journey of the church through the various years.
- In 1875, the catholics built for themselves a new church as the existing Marth-Mariyam Valiyapalli church was taken over by protestants.
- In 1885, the Syro-Malabar Catholics built the Our Lady of Lourdes Church.
- In 1887, on May 20th, a vicariate apostolic was established with Adolphus Medlycott named as the first vicar of the apostolic.
- In 1891, the church of Lourdes was elevated as a cathedral of the vicariate of Thrissur with the Syrian church that was established in 1875 as a roman catholic church.
- In 1896, John Menachery who was the vicar of the cathedral was given the status of Vicar Apostolic.
- In 1923, Thrissur was declared as a Diocese and it received its first bishop in the form of Francis Vazhappilly.
- In 1934, the chapel was blessed.
- In 1952, the chapel in the crypt was blessed.
- In 1957, George Alappatt blessed the current cathedral.
- In 1970, on the 7th of February, Pope John Paul II visited the church for its centenary celebrations of the diocese.
- In 1995, Thrissur was given a metropolitan status and the church was named as the metropolitan cathedral.
- In 1996, the centenary hall was blessed.
- In 1997, Jacob Thoomkuzhy was made the Archbishop of the city.
- In 1998, the cemetery chapel was blessed.
- In 2004, Mar Andrews Thazhath received an episcopal ordination and became the first Auxiliary bishop of Thrissur.
As is the general tradition with most religious buildings in Thrissur, this church is also well lit up during Christmas and the parish feast, making the building turn into a very pleasing and colourful site.
The church, therefore, is a must visit monument in the city of Thrissur.
Our Lady of Lourdes Metropolitan Cathedral
East Fort, Thrissur - 680005
Phone: +91 487 2333995, +91 487 2327835